Visitors

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Chpt-08 Yellowstone

Monday

While in Teton Park spring has arrived already a little, 45 Miles upwards in Yellowstone there is still Winter.



Snow everywhere and, yes, also next to my tent. Well, the lake I am staying at is at an elevation of 7733ft (2357m). Many skiing areas are below that.






Unfortunately the weather here in the area is barely predictable and so the pronounced sun hid behind thick clouds for most of the time. This is also the reason why the pictures look a little like black and white. The gorgeous colors of the park come only out in sunlight.




However, I travelled around the park and was even ale to see some bisons from the distance.

Until they appeared just in front of my eyes, crossing the street.






And they move:




Tuesday


Rain! As predicted, so I hopped in the car and got around a little. Saw the east end of the park, some more bisons and "Mammoth Hot Springs". A ranger told me that normally all the fields are covered with water. Today, only some little terraces where flooded, but they looked really nice and colorful.







Back at the tent, it poured badly and I decided that I had it with rain and cold and wet and not even a place to cook when it rains. Warm water is something I stopped dreaming about on the inside-the park-campgrounds. Maybe I'll better stick to the ones outside the park...


So, I decided to leave Wednesday morning already and give "Old Faithful", the famous geyser, a visit. If the weather turns better, I will even go on a bike trail. There is one going straight through Bison-Land...


Wednesday

The "Old Faithful Geyser" I saved up for a day with sunshine. At least for a day when they predicted some. However, I was lucky to actually have a little light around to see all the pools and the geysers. The fountains however happened to emerge when I was just somewhere else. So, enjoy the pictures of the places where fountains come up when I am not around! :-)






The "Old Faithful Inn", a cool old wooden building.


So much for Yellowstone. Now I wanna go where the sun shines and where it's warm. Why not going all the way down to "Sunshine State"?!? :-)

1 comment:

  1. I went to Yellowstone when I was a kid. I kept looking for the guy who I thought was turning on the water, even though they say there isn't one. Nice pictures. Are you going to the Badlands in South Dakota, too? - B.

    ReplyDelete