Visitors

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Chpt-12 The Coastline / Some Redwoods

First of all: driving along the coastline is spectacular. The coast has so many different varieties of shore, cliffs and beaches, it's amazing.



Here a guy with too much money believed he had to build himself a castle. For a European not really a must-see. I skipped the tour, on which you have to book on to get all the way up there.


More interesting to me: the elephant seals which, at some spots, do what they like to do most: lying in the sun doing almost nothing.


And some more of those.


Almost visible on this picture: the mountain range on which the road winds up northwards.


Here it also becomes greener.








Unfortunately: a trip along the coast should be started in the morning. I started later in the afternoon, believing I would find some place to stay when it gets dark. But for more than a hundred miles there were _nothing_ available, except for some cabins for a couple of hundred dollars. So I had to rush through all the way to Monterey, where I got when it was dark already.
A pity, as I would have liked to take a closer look at "Big Sur" several dozens of miles back down the road.


Next morning in Monterey. The fog drawn inland by the warm air rising up inland covered the sky still in the early hours. And as every decent city in California at the beach, it also has a pier (or two).


It's inhabitants, not much busier than their big fellas down the coast.






I took the coastline to Carmel on my bike. Plan: going the "17 Miles Drive" down there. However, this week it was closed to tourists. And when they do so they call it "US Open". Hmm, well, Golfers...






In the bay area of Monterey there are some nice spots to find, and lots of food!


And then I discovered a market in town, almost a mile long. What market? Food market!! :-) Got myself some Falafel at the "Mediterranean" booth.


Next morning: flat tyre. The little bugger responsible was soon found:


But after getting it repaired just across the street the journey could get continued.
Here the bay of Santa Cruz. ("Bin da so'n Bischen durch die Stadt gecruuuised und joa,... wees och nich...")


Knowing about how hard it is to find a place to stay, I booked myself into a campground at the coast in advance. A pretty remote place where they grow their own vegetables for the restaurant.


I started a little bike ride but had to find out soon, that just boots where better suited for that trail.




A nice and colorful hike along the coastline.


Someone lost, trying to find the way home at the beach.




As my gas can for the stove has emptied itself (me and the car could have exploded!), I have checked out the restaurant at the campground. Pretty good!!


Some more redwoods


It was supposed to be a hike, but asking a biker about what to do in the area, he recommended going on the trail by ..., yes, by bike!
So, it was a redwood tree trip.


Some of the trees are so huge that only Bremen-Nord's Robert can fit in on a screen, turning his new fancy iPad around. ;-)


Falling over doesn't mean they die. They just improvise.


Hm, where next??


Okay, 8 miles inland the trail ends for bikes. Could have walked further for miles and miles. However, I returned to the beach,


... wondering why I am not a kite surfer, yet!




Uploading these from San Francisco already, I am now looking forward to pick up Dennis from the airport tomorrow. We are booked on a sailing trip for the entire day...

No comments:

Post a Comment