Visitors

Sunday, June 6, 2010

Chpt-09 On the Road / Lake Tahoe

Hi everyone.

Here, finally, comes another post from the road. After Yellowstone I was looking forward for some warmth again. First stop was just after the boarder to Nevada in a little village called "Jackpot". You'll know what this village is about. But no, I didn't gamble.

After that there was a long trip through the Nevada desert going on.


If there are Germans in the desert, why not some elks??




Me on my rolling restroom ;-)


The "Humboldt Forrest" which I saw on a little detour. I wonder when spring will come into higher grounds...



I stopped at some campground which was marked on my map. I must say, it's one of the best I ever stayed on in the States and it was free! Ken, who was trying to keep his two energetic granddaughters together, gave me some hints about Lake Tahoe and where to go and what to see next.



I then went to Lake Tahoe the other day and it was very foggy and cold as predicted. But also as predicted it cleared up next morning and the lake turned out to be very, very beautiful:







I then decided to go on a little bike tour into the mountains around the lake. A guy in a bike store recommended me going to "Lake Leaf" which was just around the corner.
Lots of snow in the mountains at like 25°C make some gorgeous waterfalls:






At the end of the path there was the trailhead to some hike. A little one as I thought. Well, it was longer than expected and I had only bike shoes on. However, the area was too nice to return just because of that. And then I ran into Tim and Jeff. Jeff had a high-tech GPS device on him and combined with Tim’s pathfinder skills, we made it far into wilderness.



From some of the tree bridges you don't wanna fall off:




We have been walking too much of snow and the lake above is mainly covered with ice still. Nevertheless, for hiking we had the best weather you can imagine.


And even skiing was involved:


Two little skiing videos:






Gooood, that I had a permit!!




After having some beers at the campground we went down the street a little to get some food at some brewery. They made their own beer and had superb BBQ-Ribs. Also I learned besides "Keep Tahoe Blue" you've got to:

3 comments:

  1. With all the great beers in the US, you drank Budweiser?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, Budweiser is the only beer they sell in packages I get into my refridgiator. Of course, the microbrewery beers are much better. "Porter" semms to be my favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neid, neid, neid,


    Grüße aus München
    Hans

    ReplyDelete